Sunday, December 31, 2006

Family vs Moral Philosophy?

Recently, an interesting contention was put to me: Objectivism is at odds with family.

Huh?

This statement was made by someone who clearly does not understand what Objectivism is. In essence, Objectivism is a philosophy of reason. Among other things, it answers the question: "How do you know what you know?" This important question applies especially to the moral question: "What is right
and wrong?"

As a moral philosophy, what could be more important to a family, where individuals are living together in close quarters, where rational cooperation is paramount, especially when you hold the context of living together for years if not decades?

Adult siblings naturally tend to go their separate ways, raising their own families. Being one of 12 children, I've found it easier to get along with my brothers and sisters because Objectivism has helped me be crystal clear about my values. Specifically, it's now much easier for me not to lose sight of the good in my brothers and sisters when I hear them express disagreement with me on certain ideas.

Many know the stereotypical tension that arises when families get together for the holidays. The TV show Frasier (one of my favorites!) once had an episode on this. One of the lines (if I recall it correctly) went like this:
Caller: I hate seeing my family during Thanksgiving.
Frasier: And your point is what?
And that was the point--that it's so common to feel that way.

Not me. I look forward to catching up with my brothers and sisters. Our boundaries are clear, well-defined. That done we talk about what we all value—e.g., child-rearing, staying healthy and fit, career, homes, good food, music, the historic 2004 Red Sox victory over the Yankees (true story!), etc.

So, I'm still puzzled by the contention mentioned at the start of this post. I'll follow-up if I get more context from its source. I received it second hand. In the meantime, these are my initial thoughts.

2 comments:

JOSHUA S BLACK said...

Honestly, that question is about as puzzling as the question about why people don't like the Law of God. The summary of it is as follows: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, and Love your neighbor as you love yourself." What's wrong with that? But somehow, we seem to hate it with a passion. Strange.

Anonymous said...

"What's wrong with that" indeed. Ain't no God, for starters. Troll elsewhere.