Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Hoover Dam and Boulder City

On the dam, we, of course, walked across the borderline into Arizona. Here, you see the intake tower on Arizona's side of the line.
Here's a closer shot of the Arizona intake tower. Shortly, you'll see that the clock is the same time on the Nevada side as on Arizona's. They're not always the same since Arizona does not comply with daylight savings. On this day, they happen to coincide.
This plaque marks not only the Nevada/Arizona border but the first time I've been in two places at once. If only I could bottle that phenomenom and use it when I do my chores!
Here, of course, is the Nevada intake tower.

Next to the dam, cut into the rock, is an ice cream shop. Not only is it a wonderful contrast to the hard core engineering feat, it's just coolly refreshing to down some ice cream after being baked in the desert heat.
After leaving the ice cream shop, we passed by this sculpture. More information on it is available here.

Up the road from Hoover Dam is Boulder City. It's beautifully eerie to remember that this city is in a desert when you see its lush green lawns.
The palm tree on the left is a reminder that I was not in New England.
The sign on the pole reminds us who works for whom.
Great view of Lake Mead from Boulder City.
The Boulder City Hotel, where Mary's friend Ilana was staying. I like this hotel. If I visit this area again, I'll stay here instead of in Vegas. The rent is much cheaper and the small town pace and feel appeals to me. It was an especially welcome contrast to the intense pedestrian congestion in Vegas.
End of the day in Boulder City.

No comments: