Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Valley of Fire & Hoover Dam

Here's another pic from the Valley of Fire. I like the blue-green color of the clumps of grass. I don't recall ever seeing that color before, not in plants anyway.
Still in the valley, we stopped at this spot for the view and to walk up a stretch of rock. Notice all the vegetation. Visiting the desert in April is a practical choice. I doubt that vegetation will still be that color in August.
Our visit to Hoover Dam was a fitting change of pace—from desert to dam. Mary is posing with her friend, Ilana, for my first dam picture and not the last of my dam puns.
Mary and I strike a pose.
Next, it's Ilana's turn with her husband, Angus. Both very sharp and a lot of fun.
The swirling, life-giving water of the now tamed Colorado River.
A shot from the dam.
Notice that the towers are at an angle; a logical concession to the rough terrain.
The leaning towers are set in sharper contrast here against the straight, vertical line of the observation tower.
Here, you can see the foundation for the bridge that will eventually span the river. It will relieve the considerable congestion of the traffic that flows across the dam daily.

That's it for now. More to follow.

1 comment:

Barry said...

Those are some AWESOME pictures. I am totally jealous, but glad you had a good birthday trip!