Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Best of Two Worlds?

What, pray tell, was I shopping for in the mall, a friend asks? A computer, a laptop to be precise.

A long time Windows user (but not a Windows "bigot"), I wanted to see if I could reasonably straddle the technical fence between Windows and Mac. My interest has been piqued by news of Apple's Boot Camp and third-party software named Parallels.

So, I walked into West Farms Apple store to ask a salesman about it. He wanted to sell me a laptop, of course, but he steered me away with the report that Boot Camp is still in beta. He couldn't speak to Parallels. His main point was approach this option carefully, if at all. The concept is still new.

That's enough to put me off Mac for a while. My livelihood is based on the Windows world. I have no problem with the Mac world. In fact, I was sorely tempted by the excellent quality of the Mac Pro diplays.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I welcome them. In the meantime, it looks like I'll have to stick with the Windows world and buy a laptop suited to it.

No comments: