Thursday, November 23, 2006

Google Analytics

Apart from the nice comments my blog has received so far (thanks again, everyone!), I've been wondering how many visitors my blog receives. That is, how can I add a hit counter to my blog?

So, I did something radical -- I clicked the help button!

To Google's credit, I was able to get this far into the blogging experience without using help. Google has done an excellent job of making everything "intuitive".

Inside the help structure, I was able to find options for hit counters very quickly. Among the options, I chose Google Analytics. Why choose one of the other options when Google keeps hitting home runs? :^)

Speaking of home runs, Google Analytics didn't just provide me with a hit counter; it delivered a professional, thorough, easy-to-follow report structure! It's as if I paid money for this! Yet it's free! (At least for now.) For example, the analytics includes info on new and returning visitors. Nice.

Since I just set this up, my hit counter shows zero. So, the jury's still out on the delivery part. I'll write a follow up post on this after I receive at least 1 comment. That comment should show up as a stat somewhere in Google's analytics.

4 comments:

SN said...

Yes, Google Analytics is pretty slick... oh, and here's the comment you wanted!

Dennis said...

Thanks, softwarenerd! Stats showed up for your comment. Man, setting that up was so easy. Google rocks!

Dennis said...

FYI--The Google Analytics even show which corner of the planet visitors are from. For example, it shows one visitor connected from Brazil. Evidently, then, my first post was far more appropriate than I realized: "Hello World!" indeed!

Dennis said...

Current visitors hail from the US, Brazil, Netherlands, Mexico, and Turkey. Welcome all!