Sunday, November 12, 2006

Portable Storage

Used my first portable storage unit, a 60 GB Maxtor OneTouch III. It's too small for what I need but the price was right for experimentation purposes.

This is cool technology -- simple, cheap and it works. That is, it's like a memory stick but much bigger. Like a memory stick, it's true plug and play. Just connect it to a USB port and go.

It doesn't even need a separate power supply. Evidently, the storage unit works off the PC's power. Amazing! Bless the capitalist men and women who made this possible!

Now that I see how well and easily this works, I'll buy a bigger unit to backup my PC, especially my treasured iPod music!

2 comments:

Barry said...

60 GB is too SMALL for your needs? Jeez. Remember using cassette tapes for storage? What was the max, 32K or something?

Dennis said...

Hey, you're right! I've been spoiled by my storage drives at work which are hundreds of GB! At home, I have only a 40 GB drive.

Doh!

Not a good sign when I start blurring the line between work and home. Thanks for the reality check!

Cassette tapes for storage -- now there's a phrase to share someday with the kids. It'll start off with: "When I was a boy, we had to...!"